Finance & technologies option
3RD year - Engineering school
Context and objectives
'Finance and Technologies' program is about the evolving intersection between technology and financial services. In other words it is dedicated to new trends in finance, related to increasing use of technology. These new trends are usually summarized by a few words : financial technology (Fintech) and digital banking. The following examples give more details about these trends :
- More and more banks' customers use their mobiles and tablets to do their banking.
- Big financial institutions have incorporated strong digital strategies.
- Technology is used by startups (called fintech) to offer financial services at lower costs than old financial companies.
- Thanks to technology, new financial practices have been introduced. Crowfunding (asking the general public to provide startup capital) is one of the most important of these practices.
- Technology is also used in fraudulent activities. Banks need new skills and tools, especially in cybersecurity, to overcome these threats.
- Financial institutions need to analyse a rapidly increasing volume of data. For that they need to put in place Big data technologies.
- To analyse huge volumes of data, to protect their business and predict its evolution, banks need data science and machine leaning tools.
- New and revolutionary technologies have been born recently and applied first in the financial field. Blockchain is the most important of these technologies.
We aim to give to our students skills in all these technologies and tools. Therefore, we have built a program covering a wide range of topics belonging to three fields : Finance, Information technologies and Mathematics.
All professions that suppose skills in IT and Finance. These professions are usually called : Study Engineer • R&D Engineer • Business Analyts • Consultant.
Three kinds of companies are our main target : big financial and insurance institutions, FinTech and ESN ('numerical service companies) working with banks and insurance.
Courses have been grouped into 6 groups (see content below).
- The ‘Basics’ Group containes 3 courses :
- Mathematics for finance.
- Introduction to finance.
- Programming in Java et Java EE.
- The ‘Discovering Banks and insurance’ group containes 2 courses :
- Panorama of financial industry.
- Products and professions in Insurance.
- The ‘IT in financial institutions' group containes 2 courses :
- Banks' information systems.
- Agile software development.
- The ‘Mathematical modelling and program developing’ group containes 3 courses :
- Computational finance I.
- Computational finance II.
- Data science applied to finance.
- The ‘Managing data in Finance ' group containes 3 courses :
- Business Intelligence in Finance.
- Computer security.
- Big Data in Finance.
- The ‘Innovation and entrepreneurship ' group containes 3 courses :
- Blockchain technology and crypto-currencies.
- 22 weeks of internship within a company
Our program uses project based learning. Students have to realize two 6 months projects. The first one must be defined by a company (can be replaced by a 'professionnalization contract' internship). The second is a research project.
Heads of Option